What is a Fairtrade community?
A Fairtrade community is a local group that has made a commitment to supporting Fairtrade, and through it to support producers and communities in low and middle income countries. In practical terms this means:
- The community will understand the concept of Fairtrade;
- Fairtrade products will be widely available, bought and used throughout the community;
- A commitment will have been made to increase sales and awareness through promotional and educational activities.
- A steering committee exists to renew Fairtrade Community status
Join a Fair Trade group
Do you want to get involved with Fair Trade in your area? There are lots of local groups campaigning on Fair Trade across Wales and they’re always looking for new volunteers. Fair Trade groups represent a cross section of the community and work hard to gain and keep Fairtrade status for their area. As a volunteer, you’ll get to know your community better by taking part in campaigns and activities and meeting regularly with other group members to plan events.
There are many ways in which we can support your local Fair Trade group. Our groups newsletter keeps you up to date with the latest Fair Trade news and we can offer one-to-one support for events and governance. We hold regular meetings (online and in person when it is safe to do so) which help keep groups connected and in the know.
We can also support your group with:
- Fairtrade status applications
- Where to buy Fair Trade
- Promoting your group and activities
- Group structure, governance and finance
- Ideas for activities and events
- Providing resources
- Connecting to Fair Trade networks
If you’d like more information about how we can help, get in touch or take a look at our resources page.