Today is International Tea Day!
We are celebrating by brewing up some facts for you – take a look at these top 10 facts and see how many you already knew.
- Approximately 70,000 cups of tea are drunk every second around the world, making it the most popular drink in the world after water. Fairtrade tea is most popular in the UK, with Brits buying over 80% of the total supply!
- The country that produces the most Fairtrade tea is Kenya – and 64% of all Fairtrade tea workers and farmers live here.
- The average size of a Fairtrade tea farmer’s plot in East Africa is just 0.4 hectares.
- We believe that everyone in the supply chain deserves a minimum wage, which doesn’t change due to fluctuating prices of produce. Read more about our Fairtrade Standards here.
- The first Fairtrade certified tea was launched in 1994 by Clipper Teas.
- There are over 392,700 tea farmers who make our range of blends.
- 9.838 tonnes of Fairtrade tea were sold in 2018 – that’s more than the weight of two Asian Elephants!
- By choosing a Fairtrade cuppa, the demand for product goes up – so your tea can literally change the quality of someone’s life.
- In the UK, there are more than 400 Fairtrade-certified tea producers! The range includes white, green, decaf, organic and infusions.
- In 2017, workers on Fairtrade tea farms invested almost half of their Premium fund in housing, education and healthcare.
Blog by Jenny Carew.